Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Integrity

I don’t think I ask much of people, especially in comparison to what I demand of myself. I demand a lot of myself, because I know I’m capable of it. And while I know other people are capable of certain things, I don’t feel the need to push them, because frankly I don’t like it when other people push me into things that I can do but don’t necessarily want to do at the current moment, whether it’s good for me or not. After all, who are they to tell me what is good for me, and who am I to tell them the same thing?
Anyway, there are also very few things I believe in. But one of them is integrity. And in this, I don’t see it as just a personal belief. I don’t see it as some kind of religious belief or anything else, but a standard, a reasonable standard that I feel fair in expecting everybody to live up to. I don’t care what it is you believe, and I’m not asking you to believe that gay marriage is okay or that it’s not, that abortion is okay or not, that all races are equal or they’re not. There are things that it would be nice if everybody believed, but that isn’t going to happen. But when you say something, when you believe something, that should follow through into action. You can say I believe in the Catholic faith. But if you then refuse to go to mass, refuse to participate in the Catholic church, and you say well I feel like partying now, and then when I’m an adult and I have kids, then I’ll go back because I really do believe in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment